Trail of Echoes Walkthrough
Trail of Echoes Quest Walkthrough – The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (Kaer Morhen Side Quest)
Start Location: To the northwest of Kaer Morhen fortress, you’ll see a path leading into the hills. Follow this to find the entrance to a cave we’ll need to explore for the quest.
Note: This appears to be a non-official side-quest and as such does not have its own journal entry. it does however give you a lot of backstory on Witchers and earns you a bit of XP, so is definitely worth checking out.
Make your way over to the location described above and as you work your way along the dirt path towards the entrance marker, note that you should be careful as the entrance is guarded by a group of 6-8 Harpies.
Upon entering the cave, move through the set passage, you’ll run across a Nekker Warrior and a Rotfiend. Once they are dealt with, you can proceed further into the cave and reach a laboratory type area populated by a group of four Nekker Warriors. Again clear them out.
In the lab here, we can search the area. Activate your Witcher Senses and you can inspect the following:
- One of the tables for mutations located throughout the lab.
- One of the pots of mutagens in the area.
- Broken contraption near the stairs at the back of the lab.
- Large wooden vat for seeping herbs at the back of the cave.
- Barrel opposite the vat at the back of the cave.
- Document – ‘Trial of the Grasses Registry Tome’ on one of the mutation tables at the back of the cave.
The document is most important here. Loot this to earn some XP.
Note: For completing the quest you’ll earn 25XP.
There are also quite a few chests to be looted in here you for some good stuff (mine included Diagram: Eirlithrad). Looting the cave will essentially complete this non-official side-quest.