Apple Mac OS (MacOS) Operating System Names in Order
If you are also obsessed with Apple laptops or desktops and you want to know the order of all the versions, you have come to the right place. In this blog, you will get to know about Apple Mac OS (MacOS) Operating System Names in Order.
What is MacOS?
MacOS is the computer operating system for Apple laptops and desktops. OSes interact with the hardware of the computers and allocate the resources that are necessary to complete the given tasks. OSes are responsible for the allocation of resources for memory, file storage and processing power.
MacOS was introduced in 1984, and its performance is extremely quick. It is responsive because of the OS optimization for specific hardware. Almost every year, Apple releases a new version of macOS. Below is the list of Apple Mac OS (MacOS) Operating System names in order:
- March 2001 – Cheetah – Version 10.0
- September 2001 – Puma – Version 10.1
- August 2002 – Jaguar – Version 10.2
- October 2003 – Panther – Version 10.3
- April 2005 – Tiger – Version 10.4
- October 2007 – Leopard – Version 10.5
- August 2009 – Snow Leopard – Version 10.6
- July 2011 – Lion – Version 10.7
- July 2012 – Mountain Lion – Version 10.8
- October 2013 – Mavericks – Version 10.9
- October 2014 – Yosemite – Version 10.10
- September 2015 – EI Captain – Version 10.11
- September 2016 – Sierra – Version 10.12
- September 2017 – High Sierra – Version 10.13
- September 2018 – Mojave – Version 10.14
- October 2019 – Catalina – Version 10.15
- November 2020 – Big Sur – Version 11
- October 2021 – Monterey – Version 12
- October 2022 – Ventura – Version 13
Mac OS X and macOS Names
Apple Mac OS operating system names in order show that all versions of MacOS from 2001 to 2012 were named after the cats, such as Cheetah to Panther. Then Apple decided to name the MacOS on wine names. After that, Apple rebranded Mac OS X to MacOS which is also known as iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
Updated Versions of MacOS
The latest version of macOS is Ventura, which is also known as macOS 13. The previous macOS versions have been updated, in which security updates and bug fixes are included. The latest version of Big Sur is macOS 11.7.2, and the latest version of Monterey is macOS 12.6.2.
MacOS Catalina was launched in 2019. After the launch of Ventura, macOS Catalina will not be supported. Apple has also issued updates to the Safari web browser, and the latest version of Safari for Mac is 16.2, which requires Big Sur, Ventura and Monterey.
How to know which macOS are you Running?
If you want to know which macOS version you are using, follow these steps:
- Click on the Apple logo on the left side
- Now select About This Mac
- The version you are using will appear on the screen
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some of the answers to the most frequently asked questions related to Apple Mac OS (MacOS) Operating System Names in Order:
Q1: What are the latest versions of macOS?
Ans: The latest versions of macOS are macOS Catalina 10.15, macOS Monterey 12, and macOS Big Sur.
Q2: What is macOS 10 called?
Ans: MacOS 10 is known as OS X. Apple has described this version as its first ‘complete version’ of the Apple Mac Operating System
Q3: How can I check which macOS I am currently using?
Ans: All you need to do is to tap the Apple logo, choose ‘About This Mac’ and your current version, along with all the details, will appear on the screen.
In this blog, you have learnt about Apple Mac OS (MacOS) Operating System Names in Order. We have gathered a list of all versions of MacOS from 2001 to 2022. If you like the blog, you may visit Qnnit for more information.